Sometime after 1862, Obere Donaustraße was named after its course on the left bank of the Danube Canal and was simultaneously split into Obere and Untere Donaustraße (which had previously been called An der Donau) at Taborstraße/Schwedenbrücke.
Today, Obere Donaustraße starts at Gaußplatz on the boundary between the second and twentieth districts, which was created in 1900. On the quayside, the street is bordered by two parks: Wettsteinpark and Wilhelm-Kienzl-Park. The former headquarters of Allgemeine Österreichische Elektrizitätsgesellschaft in Leopoldstadt was built at the site of the current project the same year, and was later followed by workshops of Wiener E-Werke and the construction of a new office building for Siemens Nixdorf.
Several office buildings were developed at this location in the 1990s and were held in the portfolio of the open-ended retail real estate fund Deka Immobilien Europa for over 18 years before being purchased by the project developer Reitenburg GmbH in 2017.
In 2018, UBM Development acquired a 90% stake in the project development company Donauhof GmbH & Co. KG from Reitenburg Group and laid the foundation for the development of over 23,000 square metres of space.
This was the starting shot for the development of LeopoldQuartier, as it has been called since 2019.